Wednesday, April 23, 2008

BLESSED IS THE FULL PLATE: Full of Infinite Grace!

I just have to laugh! I looked at my last blog post and it was on April 7th! I feel as if I have been flying around this quarter, almost on roller skates! Every minute seems full with new students, new blessings, and new adventures! So this morning, after a rousing walk at 2:30 am in the cold and the dark with only a few snowflakes as my companions, I want to sit down with a warm cup of coffee and do some catching up!

The Work Plate:
Spring quarter is always super busy! I am in charge of a giant conference at the college that serves almost 1,000 people this year! Even some of my spring "break" gets spent in preparation for this major event with food, decorations, speakers, and no budget! That's right, no budget!
So the challenge is, as it always is in public education, how do we create miracles out of nothing? God is so good all the time that He provides in miraculous ways! Once again donations are coming from everywhere!! The theme for the conference is "Building Bridges Through Communication"! I am in the middle of doing a DVD of bridges being blown up...and how we can build bridges with others and I now have a complete Practical Business Communication class, new this quarter, that is helping with the conference! What a blessing!
Lots of work to design and impliment this new college course, but very worth it!! They are the foundation for this work on the conference! The college is filled with brochures, banners, signs, balloons and pictures of Scott Finnie, our keynote speaker!

I will be doing two workshops, besides running the conference. The first is "Don't Blow up That Bridge: Conflict management Tips For Survival in Your Professional and Personal Life!" and A Workshop on "Racial Reconciliation: A Conversation Between an African American Brother and a Caucasian Sister". That workshop will be done with my dear friend Scott Finnie! Pretty gutsy to tackle that topic, but we are excited!

Besides school I have been super busy with consulting! It has all been very rewarding as I step out to help businesses communicate more effectively! Some very tough situations, so I pray unceasingly for God's guidance. The question I ask is always.."What would YOU have me do here? What is Your will for this situation? Please guide me God!"

The Spiritual Plate:
This last weekend I went to the Women of Faith Conference here in Spokane! Amy, Sharon Hartnett and I have a tradition of going to this together each year, and each year the fun and learnings are profound! I stayed at The Davenport Towers with Sharon so we had a chance to catch up and get room service, quite a treat! The theme of the conference was "Infinite Grace"...knowing, once again, that God's grace is sufficient for my every need and hurt! As we listened to the most amazing speakers and the most amazing music...we laughed until we cried and cried until tears cascaded down our cheeks...the big ugly cries where it feels like your heart will burst! Very emotional weekend ! This is such a time of spiritual renewal and education for me! Lots to share about what I learned and stories to tell!

The Home Plate:
Perhaps the greatest missing for me during this super busy time is more time, and more relaxed time, with all my loved ones! I long to just have time to sit for hours and share!! Thank goodness that summer is only weeks away! One of my goals this year has been to remember and recognize special events for my family...4 families with two daughters and two sons and our extended families! I want to remember every birthday, anniversary, and special event for these people who mean the world to me.

Since part of this goal is long distance to Puyallup (Erik's family) and Texas (Chris and his family) and Seattle (Sharon and her puppy Scout)...plus everyone her in Spokane.... this takes some extra planning to send Valentines baskets or Easter baskets out of town or remember every birthday! But so far so good in 2008! And I love the creativity of finding something special for each loved one!

Fun family events of late have been watching Kayla, Madison and Emma play soccer, going with Bert to the Poetry Slam that Madison and Kayla performed spectacularly in (loved bringing them flowers:), and having dinner with just Kayla...this last Monday night at Linnie's Thai restaurant! She and I love to have "KK and Nana Time"!

Bert and I have been trying out some new restaurants occasionally and since I am still doing Weight Watchers, and still losing weight slowly, eating healthy is now part of our daily routine!

There's more to tell, but getting ready for school awaits! Know that I send all of you loves and hugs! No matter how busy life gets, know that you are in my thoughts and prayers daily...for health, fun, peace, joy, and knowing how truly blessed you are! I know I am! My plate is full, but it is brimming over with love and blessings!

God Bless!
Love Linda

6 comments:

Kim said...

The crooked bridge...like say at Manito brings good luck, unlike the Chinese proverb that says bad luck follows in a straight line. Not sure how that impacts your presentation which sounds great! What an amazing undertaking momma!
Love the "plates" in your post today. I immediately thought about baseball and then my "friendship platter" -- I constantly try to balance. In short, this means how can I try to keep in touch and be supportive of those lives important and dear to me. Boy I'm sounding a little random today!

Thinking of you and your plates as you balance them all perfectly!

Anonymous said...

3:32 AM!!! Now I KNOW you never sleep. I am so happy that you had the opportunity to go to the conference with Amy and Sharon to get filled up, caught up and energized. May God's grace continue to sustain you through the planning and presentation of your conference. The topics sound exciting!
You always take such good care of your family and extended family. I feel so blessed to be a part of that group. I really don't know how you manage it all, but you do. Thank you for all you do with such love and caring.
Love, Eileen

Kayla Jode said...

You have had such a busy weekend! I had a great time with you in our Nana and Kk time! I always do! I hope that this conference goes well for you! It sounds like it's going to take a while to prepare for it. I hope that you're having a great week!

The Farrell Family said...

Love you, Mom. You've got a lot on your plate right now but I know that God will give you the strength to do everything that He wants you to do! He sustains you when you do His work! Love you, me

LORIE said...

Linda:

You have a full plate let alone mutliple ones! You are definitely living life to its fullest. Good work! Enjoy the simple pleasures as well. Good to hear from you! I am interested in the Racial seminar! Sounds great!!!

jessithompson said...

Mom,

I'm glad to hear that you're keeping your head above water in the midst of the many tasks and responsibilities you're taking on. Be sure to take some time for yourself to have some balance. I love you and know that all the people who hear the conference will be touched by your knowledge and passion.

XOXO

God is Good ALL the Time! The Last Six Months....

          "You will lose someone you can't live without and your               heart will be broken. The bad news is that you neve...