Saturday, April 07, 2018

Happy 35th Wedding Anniversary Bert!






It's a rainy day here in Spokane, a drizzle really. A perfect day to curl up by our fire and reminisce about the last 35 years.

Yes, today is our 35th wedding anniversary and "Praise God!" my beloved Bert is here so we can celebrate it together. We have been sipping coffee, listening to some of our favorite music and telling stories...lots and lots of stories. We are holed up in our comfy family room with Daisy the doggy rotating between our laps,
on the wall the huge hand painted sign I got Bert for our 25th anniversary. It says...

                              YOU HAVE
                              MY WHOLE
                              HEART
                              FOR MY
                              WHOLE LIFE

Our story has so many twists and turns, meeting in grad school. Me... with a shattered heart, never going to trust again. Bert with a heart of gold, knowing I needed to heal, that I was completely broken. He... being a much needed friend and helper...someone who prayed for me, for my girls, constantly. And he listened...he listened and listened, without judgement. I cried with him, buckets and buckets of tears.

He was a perfect gift from God, I believe that with all of my heart.

And then one day I realized that he was truly my best friend. My
friend Gail nudged me by saying, "Linda, if ten years from now you tell me there are no good men out there, I'll personally kill you.
There is one standing right in front of you,"

And he was, my Bert, standing there then. And he is standing here now, thirty five years later.

I am amazed to this day that he really likes me, just as I am. He really loves me, no matter what. He thinks I'm pretty. He tells me that every day. I still leave him love notes, every day. Thirty five years later.

We have been through some tough times, some very tough times, but we give those times to God. He holds us and we get through them.

Don't misunderstand, there are times Bert drives me crazy. At times, he has a tough time finishing what he starts. I'm a big finisher. But in the end we both know how little that really is.

We know what BIG is. After all, two years ago he had a TIA stroke and I almost lost him. And God brought him back to me.

I cherish every day I have with him.

One of my favorite sayings on a framed picture of the two of us is...
          
                              You don't have to promise me
                                  the moon and the stars,
                               Just promise you'll stand
                                  underneath them with me. 

And so my paratrooper, businessman, wind surfer- namer, best friend, Daddy, Papa, counselor, helper, listener, holder, hard worker, server of others, care-taker, lover of God, best person I know, love of my life...

                              Happy 35th Anniversay, my beloved!

You have my whole heart, for my whole life. And my darling, I have yours!

God bless sweetheart!
Love always!
Your Linda


                                




4 comments:

Vicky said...

How beautiful! I love the words that you've chosen to guide you- and how you print them and see them daily. What a wonderful example of how I hope to live my own life with my beloved as well. Its clear that Bert is such a gem, and you are equally deserving of each other! I love how you spent the day- its exactly the sort of thing I love to do! Your kind words to me have been so healing, and heartwarming and touch me through and through. I thank God often for the gift of you in my life! And I love that I've come to know a bit more of Bert and feel he is a part of my life too! Happy Anniversary!! Cheers to many more to come!!

GrammaGrits said...

Belated happy, happy anniversary! What a beautiful post and reminder of the blessing a godly husband who loves us is every day. Thanks for sharing the great pictures as well as words.

Jackie said...

Special hugs and warmest smiles to a beautiful couple.
I love the love that you share.

Miss Myia said...

It can't be 35 years since I sat in your class...wow, Congrats and sorry this is late, I love you both and miss you so very much! Big hugs to you both!!! Love, Myia

God is Good ALL the Time! The Last Six Months....

          "You will lose someone you can't live without and your               heart will be broken. The bad news is that you neve...