Thursday, August 23, 2007

A HINT OF FALL IS IN THE AIR!!!!


I love every season. Like children, each has its own blessings and unique qualities.

I love summer because my pace of life becomes more relaxed, more humane, and more time and attention is given to those I love! Summer seems to straighten out my priorities!

I love winter because it's a time of celebration filled with the anticipation of joyous holidays! My child's heart, still very alive in my 60 year old body, can't wait for Thanksgiving, Christmas, the Nutcracker ballet and the first snow of the season.

I love spring because I love to garden, and I celebrate each new leaf, especially as the landscape goes from grey to green!

And then there's fall! Fall is Bert's favorite season. He relishes the colored leaves and sees the leaves fall as a glorious celebration! Fall hold a sense of anticipation for me...a chance for a new school year. Yet for me there has always been a joy and sadness in fall. It has never been easy for me to let go of summer!

This morning I woke up to take my very early morning walk. I'm doing twelve blocks each morning...in the dark around our neighborhood. I walked this morning at 2:30 am. Couldn't sleep. I could FEEL fall in the air as I walked! I could feel gratitude in my heart that I CAN walk!

Lots of thoughts filled my mind and heart as I circled those twelve blocks!

I thought again about Jessi's spectacular race last weekend and the JOY it was to scream and yell for her and make bright signs of encouragement.

I thought about Jacob teaching me about basketball and saying to me, "Nana, smell the goodness of the leaves!".

I thought about Jenna's super soft skin and how fun it is to make her smile!

I thought about tomorrow, August 24th, being Amy's 28th birthday and what I was doing and feeling 28 years ago at this time!

I anticipated my day... having a HOT, not iced, mocha, helping Amy and Ryan finish painting their deck at 7am (I volunteered to do this after all their hard work at the lake), and doing consulting work later in the day!

I had the urge to get my house in order and my teaching outfits organized! That's ALWAYS a sign that fall is approaching!

I imagined doing some creative projects. Monday I got the art supplies to draw our annual, drawn-by-me Christmas card! I'll soon go look for material for baby Jenna's Christmas stocking!

I can feel the desire to plant colorful mums in my planters to replace the tired summer geraniums!

I wondered if more people would be coming back to church and fewer people come to the lake?

I smiled as I thought about switching out the summer pillows in my living room, in pale cream and green tones, and replacing them with colors that reflect a fall mood!

I reviewed in my mind's eye my short and long-term goals. Last night, while talking to Bert after work, I reviewed my goals for this summer (yes, I'm a goal-maker who keeps a written list). It's time to add some new goals as summer fades and fall approaches.

There's a hint of fall in the air.

Summer isn't over, and I will continue to appreciate...
every warm summer day, iced tea, summer shorts, not wearing sweaters and jackets, more time to check blogs, nap taking time, having one not two jobs, meals of salads, and the warmth of the sun on my skin!

I won't ever forget the summer of 2007! I'll soon tuck its memories deep inside my heart!

But I'm very aware that fall is on the way!

Hugs and loves to all who read this! God Bless! Linda

2 comments:

jessithompson said...

Although I am still in denial about fall being just around the corner, I love hearing you talk about it... it is always a time of reflection for me. I think it has something to do with the beginning of a new year at school.

Can't wait to see the Christmas card!!! :)

One of my favorite back to school memories is having you decorate the front yard with a back to school theme... having a special first day of school breakfast... and you always got one of your students to come and french braid our hair (a little tough to do yourself with one hand :). What a lucky kid to have such a thoughtful mom who loved any reason to celebrate! XOXO

LORIE said...

I love fall as well. . . .the Indian Summers. I always said if and when I marry again. . . . I want to do it in the Fall.

God is Good ALL the Time! The Last Six Months....

          "You will lose someone you can't live without and your               heart will be broken. The bad news is that you neve...