Sunday, January 07, 2018

Gratitude, Wonder. and the Power of Prayer...

 Jacob, Jenna, Amy, Sihin and Annora

Amy and Jenna

Sihin and Jenna

Jacob
Annora

I love fresh starts and new beginnings. So the beginning of a new year is the perfect opportunity for me to at once reflect back on the year gone by and also look forward with anticipation to the days and months to come. 

When I look back at 2017, over and over a theme arises, a mantra if you will, a silent whisper in my heart. 

I am just so grateful. I am in wonder at life's blessings and how God works. I am amazed at the power of prayer.

Even in the hardest of times in the past twelve months, God's grace, love and a peace that passes all understanding have cushioned my happy heart and my hurting heart.

I've come to believe, in the seventy years I have been on the planet, that it is the tough times, the hard times, the grueling times that help me to truly cherish the good times, the easy times, and the joyous and calm times. 

When I know deep pain, it helps me to more fully embrace and appreciate deep joy. When I feel the most alone, that's when I remember that I am never alone. 

God is right there in the hardest hard.

And when I look at the pictures of Amy and her children, at the start of this blog post, I am overcome with emotion. Tears spill freely down my cheeks as I look at these loved ones.

This daughter that we adore and these grandchildren who have stolen our hearts. Bert is Boppa and I am Nana and when they call us by these endearing names, well we just melt.

These "grands," as my dear friend Jackie calls them, are joy-givers, that's for sure.

And when hard things happen to them, like Jacob's recent mountain bike accident (sees the bog post prior to this one for details)...well, it hurts more than words can express.

Yet the pain of this accident, when shared, gave us such HOPE and gratitude. When our dear friends and family members prayed...well, it sustained us in a way that changed
us. Knowing we could turn to others and they would faithfully pray, well, there are no words to say how grateful I am.

Some examples....

Immediately when we heard about Jacob being hurt, I contacted my dearest friends. All of them are powerful and
faithful prayer warriors...

Jackie, my dear forever friend, who reminded me over and over, with small messages on my blog and email, that she was praying.Thank you, dear friend. Your friendship means so much to me. Love you, sweet friend!

Vicky and Peggy, my soul sisters, thank you both for praying
for our beloved grandson Jacob. I love you both more than words can ever express.

Sharon, my dear friend, who now lives here in Spokane,
thank you for your special friendship and for your prayers for my family and Jacob. We have known each other forever it seems and I love and appreciate you so much.

My friends at SCC, including Mark and Larry on the facilities team, thank you all for praying for Jacob.

Our church family at Bethel AME, thank you for holding all of us up in prayer.

Others who read this blog, like Gramma Grits, thank you for your prayers. Other friends and family members...thank you for your prayers! 

And finally, my dear friend Chuck. You are a wonder and miracle to Bert and to me. I will never forget our encounter at Bank of America. I had just heard the severity of what had happened to Jacob and you are a nurse. As I came through the set of doors to go back outside, there you were. You took one look at my face, walked me back into the bank, and asked what was wrong. As I started to tell you, I was crying so hard the words would hardly come out. You pulled me aside to the sofa in the bank, sat me down, held my hand and  prayed out loud with me right there. Right there, loud enough for all to hear. You asked God to protect Jacob, to heal Jacob.

I know that He heard your prayers and your deep love and trust in God inspired me, more than you could ever know.

So while it is only January 7th, and 2018 is still quite new,
I am thanking God over and over again for His love. I am in wonder and so grateful for dear and faithful fiends who love us and pray with us. I am grateful for joy and grateful for the hard times that help me be closer to God.

May you know how much He loves you, too!
God Bless!
Love, Linda

1 comment:

Jackie said...

What a precious family you have!
These photographs are exquisite; thank you so much for sharing them with us. Love and great big hugs to each of your precious Grands and to your amazing daughter, your husband...and hugs to you, my friend. Always. Hugs to you.
I want to take a moment to extend my thanks to each of your prayer warriors. Each one is special and precious in his/her own way.
I'm thankful our Father has placed each one of them in your path...and I am thankful He placed you in our path. The ones who pray with you and who pray for you do it because we love the Lord, and we do it because we love you and those you love. I count it a privilege to pray. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for each prayer you have lifted for me and for my family.
As you read this, know that I continue to whisper prayers for your precious Jacob. God is healing him, and He will continue to do that.
I love you, my sweet friend.
Feel the hugs and the smiles from deep within my heart....from here to there.
Always,
Jackie

God is Good ALL the Time! The Last Six Months....

          "You will lose someone you can't live without and your               heart will be broken. The bad news is that you neve...