Saturday, March 30, 2019

A Promise...

                               I hope you remember....
                      that I can't make this life easier,
                   but I promise to walk with you always!
                                                      -Edie Wentworth


I was up early that morning for some much needed meditation and prayer time. I had felt restless and off-base
the day before and I had barely slept that night. I've never been a great sleeper, one of those folks who drifts off in a heart-beat and then slumbers without a whimper. My beloved Bert is like that. When he is out, he is OUT. Almost nothing wakes him up until his internal alarm clock says that it is time to get going.

I, on the other hand, am usually up at 3:00 am. I'm ready to go and make it a great day. Yet on this particular morning
I had tossed and turned all night long. So my "Get up prayer" instead of "Thanks!" was "Help!"

So I finally just got up, put on my warm and fuzzy robe and well-worn comfy sandals, got a fresh cup of coffee and quietly headed out the back door. There were still splotches of snow. Yet more of the ground was visible, though it was all very soggy. Remnants from a long winter that just didn't want to quit. 

Our old swing was out there, a place Bert and I gravitate to when we wanted to look at the sky or talk about something important.

I noticed as I sat on the swing and started to pray that the rain was gently coming down, almost as if you wouldn't notice its presence. A drop here and a drop there, not even  drizzle. Every drop seemed like a reminder of God's presence.

I felt like His spirit was right there with me on that old backyard swing. Somehow I knew that I didn't need to explain to Him what was on my heart.

I knew...
He sees my heart.
He sees your heart.
He knows what we need even before we do.
He knows my heart hurts.

What did manage to escape my lips was something like...
"This isn't fair. It just isn't." 
"Help! Please do something to ease her pain." 

I was asking Him to draw close to so many dear ones who are hurting right now. Just the day before, when I was working in the front-yard garden and trying to break through a few patches of dirt that were still frozen, a wonderful neighbor stopped by. She lives across the street and almost always comes over to chat when she sees me putzing in the garden. Immediately I noticed that she didn't look quite like herself, but I hadn't seen her for some time. 

After all, with this winter of freezing weather and four feet of snow everywhere, we have hardly seen any neighbors more than just to wave. Since everyone was so bundled up, there have been times I wasn't entirely sure I knew who I had just waved at.

So this neighbor's visit was a welcome sign of spring.

Then when our dear friend started the conversation by saying, "I didn't want to you hear this from someone else, but this winter I have been battling cancer," my heart just sank.

Not any cancer, mind you, but one of the big ones where the recovery rate is minuscule. 

Her words took my breath away and other faces popped up in my mind and heart. Suddenly Eileen's face came to mind. She is dying from ALS. Julia, twelve years old and living across the street, is fighting a Wilm's tumor that may take her life. And my beloved Bert's face popped up since he has been so sick lately.

What escaped my lips, on that backyard swing so early in the morning, was "enough!" And then the tears started to flow. I just felt so sad seeing so many good people in pain. Sad and helpless. 

No wonder I couldn't sleep. 

I couldn't do much, but I could pray.
I couldn't do much, but I could ask others to pray for them.
I couldn't do much, but I could walk with them
through this hurt and pain. I could love them unconditionally
and be a support person they could lean on!

If you believe in the power of prayer, would you please keep Ann, Eileen, Julia and Bert in your prayers? While I can't fix this for them, I can hold their hand and walk through this with them.

Have a blessed day. Sending loves, hugs and prayers your way!
Linda

   
                          

3 comments:

Jackie said...

I will pray for them, my friend.
I will....
I love you,
Jackie

Jackie said...

April 20, 2019
I stopped by to wish you and those you love a blessed and happy Easter, my sweet friend.
I love you,
Jackie

GrammaGrits said...

Miss you! Hope to see a post soon! Blessings . . .

God is Good ALL the Time! The Last Six Months....

          "You will lose someone you can't live without and your               heart will be broken. The bad news is that you neve...