Friday, November 10, 2006

A Little History!


I grew up in Seattle, Washington as an only child and my parents, Mark and Dolores McColm, were from the "old school ". They believed deeply in hard work, earning your own way, and having impeccable manners! My Dad was an extroverted salesman who came from a difficult and damaged family background. His persistence and perseverance against great odds fueled his life. He was a self-starter and what you see is what you get kind of guy! He didn't have a birthday cake until he was thirty, when my Mom made him one. One of my fondest memories of my Dad was when he washed my face after a meal and joked with me saying "What's going to happen?" And I would giggle until I almost peed in my pants! My Mom, who was much more introverted, loved me without measure. She loved to make us Mother-Daughter outfits for almost every occasion. While my journey with my parents had some ups and downs, they gave me a GREAT gift. I always knew that I was deeply loved. They had my back. They showed up in my life. I knew I could count on them. One of my life lessons, as I approach 60: I want those that I love to feel that same way about me. There is no gift that equals knowing that you are treasured and adored for who you really are.

6 comments:

The Farrell Family said...

I miss Nana and Grandpa Mark. It's great to hear stories of their lives. I'll always treasure my memories of our times together.

Anonymous said...

I miss them too. I love these pictures.

Melissa said...

Great pictures. Thanks for sharing your story. I feel that same way about wanting those I love to feel the same way about me.

Melissa

kathibest said...

I think every person inately has a deep need to feel loved and adored..........

I honor you for recognizing that and intentionally investing in the lives of those you love.........

That is a gift with value beyond measure................

Kim Herring said...

Linda - I am so intrigued by learning more about you and I am truly inspired by your journey. I agree with Kathi that the eyes tell so much and you still have that sparkle and zest for life in your eyes.

You are truly blessed to have such amazing parents, children & grandchildren. We should all be so blessed.

The need to be loved is part of each person's make-up and it is an amazing gift to each person when that love is shown. We should all be so fortunate to be surrounded by such loving family members.

Anonymous said...

Love your posts!! It has been fantastic getting to know you through your blog.

God is Good ALL the Time! The Last Six Months....

          "You will lose someone you can't live without and your               heart will be broken. The bad news is that you neve...